Sunday, May 26, 2013

Baking cabinet redo



This fabulous change was inspired by.....wait for it...... this pin on Pinterest. I know, no one is surprised. All of my best projects seem to come from an inspiration found on Pinterest. And I'm ok with that. I love Pinterest. I love access to all those amazingly talented and intelligent people who come up with all these great ideas. Keep up the good work people.

What you see above is my baking cabinet after I had my son cut some 1 inch square trim to fit just inside the border of the inside of my cabinet doors. I sanded and painted the trim with chalk board paint. I first determined where I wanted them mounted so that they would be right below the shelf when the door was closed. I mounted the trim to the doors using Gorilla Glue, swiped from hubby's tool box. Then I marked out the locations for my cup hooks and pierced a small guide hole with a pick or awl or some sort of pointy object out of my hubby's tools. I contemplated, just for a moment, using my piercing tool. Then scrubbed that idea because I didn't want to risk breaking or dulling it. No such concerns for hubby's tool. ;)

When I was this far done, I was happy with the organization I had gained, but it seemed bland. I wanted more punch. 




So, after a few moments of hemming and hawing, I decided to go all the way. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say. Plus my hubby working out of town made my decision a little easier. I subscribe to the principle that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I say permission only because he is a painter by trade, so if he was home he would have all kinds of concerns and probably much input also, about my ability to complete this project up to his snuff.

I did, in my humble opinion, a very thorough job of masking off both cabinet doors. I also lightly sanded the finish off of the inside of the door, the part I want to paint. (Later hubby was very glad to hear that I had remembered this step. Score one for me.)



First coat. I must admit I was nervous.



Second and third coats added following the instructions on the bottle. NOT! Sheesh, I read the instructions after I have rushed into coats two and three. I was supposed to let them cure for one hour between coats and on the second coat I was supposed to paint in a horizontal direction. I didn't do any of this. Oops. Thankfully it still turned out ok. Ssshhhh, don't tell my hubby, I don't want to lose my atta girl point I earned on the sanding step.




This is it, all finished. I love it. I haven't written on it yet because it says to let it cure for 24 hours before rubbing chalk all over it and wiping it off. Then it is ready for use and reuse. This direction I decided to follow. *face palm*



It definitely has punch now. I love the hook for holding my recipe card. 


Who am I kidding? I love the whole thing. I keep opening the doors just to stand and admire how organized and sharp they look. Now I need to replace all my old blue Tupperware lids with the new black ones. Now that would look really sharp!


Find inspiration everywhere! Go... Create something fun & fabulous. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading each and every comment. Thanks for taking a moment to leave an opinion or observation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...